South Australia Steam Safari View Basket
To order this holiday brochure for FREE delivery to your home or computer, click the GET THIS FREE button.
Let train travel inspire your imagination
ADELAIDE • PETERBOROUGH • WILPENA POUND/FLINDERS RANGES • PORT AUGUSTA | 9 days | 9-17 MAY 2021
"The trains in any country contain the essential paraphernalia of the culture …"
Paul Theroux – The Great Railway Bazaar
From stunning mountain ranges and snaking rivers, to famously enchanting wineries and an eclectic collection of little country towns, South Australia offers some of the most varied experiences in the country.
Combine the broken, rugged and rust-coloured landscape of the Flinders Ranges with the rolling green hills and pristine coastline of the Fleurieu Peninsula and you have the bookends of this special adventure.
The Festival state is also home to a compact collection of some of the most appealing and authentic heritage rail journeys in Australia.
Kicking off in Adelaide and heading north, this journey takes in an interesting mix of experiences, including sound and light shows, industrial and rural heritage, fine dining and wine tasting. But then, the centrepiece of the tour, a very special charter of the ‘Pichi Richi Explorer’ heritage train for a trip on the most iconic section of the original Trans Australia Railway. In the company of your tour leader, South Australian local, Phillip MacKenzie, you’re sure of an entertaining, informative, revealing and memorable short adventure.
- Enjoy an exclusive private charter on the famous Pichi Richi Railway from Quorn to Woolshed Flat and back by heritage train
- Explore the Flinders Ranges, the Fleurieu Peninsula, Port Augusta, Adelaide and beyond
- Ride the Heritage Steam Ranger train down the hinterland of the Fleurieu Peninsula and along the stunning coastline route of the Cockle Train
- Take in the Light and Sound Show at Steamtown in Peterborough
- Take off on a four-wheel drive tour of the exceptional Wilpena Pound
- Enjoy a special sunset drinks and canapés at Stokes Hill in the Flinders Ranges
- Explore multiple museums, homesteads, wineries and quaint country gardens • Enjoy the comfort of quality coach connections, the best hotels and motels on offer, fine meals and the company of your experienced tour leader, Phillip McKenzie.
About Railway Adventures
The joy of travel is not confined to the destination. How you travel is a large and rich part of the experience. Railway Adventures offers a truly unique perspective on some of the world’s most spectacular holiday destinations, with the confidence that the journey will be just as magical and memorable as what you find at the end of the line.
- Unique itineraries — each itinerary has been meticulously developed by a team of expert travellers with many years’ experience, an intimate knowledge of the destination, and with great cultural awareness. You are guaranteed to experience the best that each destination has to offer.
- Authentic local experiences — whether it’s a little-known yet impressive steam railway, a small boutique hotel or an authentic restaurant, you can be sure of experiencing something special on these tours.
- Expert local guides and operators — Railway Adventures employs local guides to share their passion and knowledge of the places they call home, while partners on the ground provide the best possible support and backup all the way.
- Small group sizes — a small number of guests per trip guarantees an intimate experience with less time spent queuing, more time with your guide, and better access to sightseeing destinations.
- Fully escorted – tour leaders are experienced and capable, entertaining and considerate, and together with local guides have your needs well covered. They help with everything along the way, providing peace of mind, and enabling you to relax and enjoy the journey. And you’ll find them jolly good company, to boot!
- Customer satisfaction — Railway Adventures' testimonials speak for themselves. Customer satisfaction ratings show that over 97% would recommend Railway Adventures to others.
ON THE RAILS
Variety is the spice of life on the rails and that is what you’ll get in spades with Railway Adventures. Character-filled, zig-zagging railways of Sri Lanka, opulent hotels on wheels in India and South Africa, steam heritage trains in some of the most staggeringly beautiful parts of the world, dinky little carriages in outback Queensland, bullet trains in Japan— if it travels on a rail track, Railway Adventures is there!
OFF THE RAILS
It’s not just the trains, boats and planes; it’s the warm, comfortable beds at night, the culinary delights, the immersion in a new culture and the people you meet that makes travelling so enjoyable. Railway Adventures strives to create the most intriguing and memorable itineraries, with hand-picked hotels, restaurants, local guides and cultural experiences to make sure you experience the best possible rail journey in a safe, comfortable and pleasurable way.
This brochure covers the regions and holiday types listed below. Click on the links to see more free travel brochures covering the regions and holiday types you are interested in.