The Sultanate of Oman View Basket
To order this holiday brochure for FREE delivery to your home or computer, click the GET THIS FREE button.
This brochure is no longer available on this website.
Discover the history and sheer beauty of this desert nation
8 DAYS - Starts Muscat 21 October 2019
The Sultanate of Oman lies nestled into the south-east corner of the Arabian Peninsula. The country has a rich history dating back over 100,000 year and in its more recent history has seen occupation by various foreign powers including the Persians, the Portuguese, the Ottomans and the British. Today the country is taking steady steps at modernising its economy whilst, at the same time remaining fiercely proud of its heritage. It’s still one of the best places in the Gulf to experience tradional Arabia.
Outside the larger more developed cities you will find mud brick villages surrounded by enormous date plantations. Traditional souks are busy with shoppers bargaining for jewellery, frankincense and other commodities. The country is rugged and beautiful with its towering mountains, rugged canyons and wadis, and its seemingly endless dunes. Crumbling forts stand guard over ancient towns and watch over long coastal stretches where, as in centuries past colourful fishing boats bob around in the blue waters of the Arabian Sea.
- This trip through the Sultanate starts in the sprawling modern capital of Muscat and will include the magnificent Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, the Bait al Zubair Museum and the historic quarter of Old Muscat. Visit a local family for lunch and take a wander throgh the local souq.
- The spectacular Western Hajar mountains and historic Nizwa. Explore the mudbrick town of Al Hamra, view the giant Bahla Fort and the nearby intimate Jabreen Castle, which offers a fascinating insight into life in old Oman.
- Walk in picture perfect Misfat Al Abrayeen. Admire some of Oman’s finest mudbrick architecture in the village of Ibra.
- Then south to the magnificent Wahiba Sands. Out amongst the dunes, dine with a Bedouin family and enjoy the beautiful desert sunset from a comfortable campsite.
- Head to the Arabian Sea coast to visit the Ras Al Jinz turtle reserve and witness the age-old craft of traditional Dhow boat building.
- Return to Muscat, stopping off at the spectacularly deep and narrow carved Wadi Tiwi and the must‐see Bimmah sinkhole.
Steve Mortimer heads up Byroads Travel and will be your host on this tour. Steve has more than 30 years in the travel industry and has travelled to well over 120 countries. He has worked with a number of well‐known Australian and UK adventure travel companies including 13 years as a Product Manager and Operations Director for Peregrine Adventures. In addition to researching and developing holidays in many different regions of the world Steve has led a great number of trips to some of the world’s most interesting, exotic and out of the way places.
Steve likes nothing better than getting out and about with like-minded travellers, sharing his knowledge and introducing them to some of the world’s most interesting places.
With Byroads, you can be confident that your itinerary includes visits to all the ‘must see’ attractions – and much more, however there are some days when you’ll have time to wander and to make some of your own discoveries. Throughout the tour local guides are employed to provide a wealth of background information and share their extensive local knowledge.
This brochure covers the regions and holiday types listed below. Click on the links to see more free travel brochures covering the regions and holiday types you are interested in.